Tuesday, February 9, 2010

10 Shawls in 2010

0 comments

When Ravelry started up I joined thousands of other knitters and crocheters and signed up for a free account. I learned about Ravelry from the discussion group for the Etsy Hookers Team. There were so many new users wanting to join that there was a queue with only a relatively small number being accepted each day. It was kind of fun checking to see where you were in the queue.

Eventually, my application for an account was accepted and I was in. It offers a great place to network with others pursuing like interests. Each account comes with a database for storing information about your stash of yarn and fiber; your projects that are works in progress and also to queue up projects you want to work on.

However, to be honest I did not do much with the account once I got in. I checked back every now and again but really did not get 'into it'. Until this year that is.

I wanted to challenge myself in 2010; to find something that would be fun and different yet still within my range of ability to accomplish. I popped into Rav. to search their pattern database. While I was there I took a look at the groups section.

I found a group called 10 Shawls in 2010. The premise is that members will challenge themselves to knit or crochet 10 shawls in 2010. I had just subscribed to my first mystery kal as well as my first lace shawl so this group really appealed to me.

My first shawl was completed in January. It was crocheted from a free pattern called Sezession I and was designed by Rodger Murry. I used two balls of Patons Decor in a variegated colour called Country Roses.

This was a very simple shawl and worked up quickly. It made a great start to my challenge giving me a wonderful sense of accomplishment.

I've queued up other projects which will be more technically challenging like the Evanstar mystery kal. Never having done any lace knitting before this project should satisfy my urge to learn some new stitches and try new techniques.

0 comments: